Facebook and Twitter try to limit ‘NY Post’ story on Joe Biden’s son

and try to ’ story on Joe Biden’s

Facebook and Twitter applications are seen on an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max in The Hague, The Netherlands on March 2, 2020. (Photo by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images)


NurPhoto via Getty Images

Facebook and Twitter are both taking steps to slow the spread of a New York Post story that claimed to have obtained emails from the laptop of Joe son.

A Facebook spokesperson said Wednesday that the company was “reducing its distribution” until the story had been reviewed by the company’s fact checking partners. The spokesperson, Andy Stone, said this was “part of our standard process to reduce the spread of misinformation.” 

Several hours after the story was first published, Twitter took an even more aggressive step: it blocked the URL from being shared in tweets and direct messages. Previously-tweeted links now surface a warning that “this link may be unsafe.” 

In a statement, a Twitter spokesperson confirmed the move. “In line our Hacked Materials Policy, as well as our approach to blocking URLs, we are taking action to block any links to or images of the material in question on Twitter,” the spokesperson said, pointing to the company’s policy on hacked materials and guidelines for blocking specific URLs.

Developing… 

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Share
4
Shares

Share

Tweet

Share


Go to Source

Author: {authorlink}
https://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/feedlogo.gif?cachebust=true Engadget RSS Feed https://www.engadget.com/rss.xml

Engadget is a web magazine with obsessive daily coverage of everything new in gadgets and consumer electronics